Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Look y'all! I blogged... again!

Twice in one month already.  I know you're just about to faint from all the excitement!  Speaking of excitement...guess who is almost one! C-Monster hits 11 months on Sunday, so I figure if I start typing this up now, surely I can get it posted by then, right? August is going to be a busy month for us- I can already tell. We’re planning a vacation to the beach then, and we’ve got a big birthday for a big boy too! But since we’re still in the month of July, let’s review what we’ve been up to, shall we?

Hooray for birthdays!!

 Cameron is moving and shaking ALL the time now. I get a workout by chasing him around, telling him “no no”, and “redirecting” his attention away from danger. (How is it that this child can already disassemble the surround sound speakers? Naturally chewing on their wires is MOST fascinating to him. Naturally.)

But look at that face... who could be mad?

I try to take him to the pool at least once a week, but most weeks we make it there twice or more. He seems to really enjoy it, so I’m glad to have an activity that can umm… use up some of that energy (READ: wear. him.out.) He’s still a little funky with naps. He’s been SO good, and I made the mistake of bragging on him, so for the last couple of days he’s completely refused one nap. Which means he has only taken one nap. And if that one nap was like a 3 hour napper, it wouldn’t be so bad. But it usually clocks in right at an hour, or if I’m lucky an hour 15 mins. That’s just no good. This morning he only took a 45 minute morning nap, so I took him to the pool to get him good and tired. We’ll see if we make it through the afternoon OK. Fingers crossed.
This was yesterday's lunch scene, after he skipped his morning nap.  Now for everyone who's asking "Are you SURE he was tired?"  Yes.  I am. 

Now for the big stuff… I really love the 4th of July. It has the definite ring of summer to it- I mean, there is no doubt that it’s summertime by the time July rolls around. For the past several years, I have run the Peachtree Road Race on the 4th of July. Well, I skipped last year, as you may recall. I was enormously pregnant, and cried all morning because I wished I could have been running. So this year, I was SUPER pumped to get a number. My training plan was completely derailed due to the illnesses that swept through my house in the spring, but I was determined to do it anyway. So on Monday, July 4th, I woke up bright and early, got the boys ready and out the door, and downtown we went. They dropped me off at the start line, and they moved on down to the 10th street curve to watch for mama. I told them to sit tight- I wasn’t going to be there any time soon. I had 2 goals that day: 1) don’t die; and 2) get the t-shirt. I’m very pleased that I actually accomplished both goals, AND I did much better at the running part than I thought I would. I ran the first 4 miles before I even realized it! I did walk on and off between mile 4 and 5, but ran from 5 all the way to the finish. Not bad for my first race back, with a training plan that had been completely hijacked! When I passed the boys, I pulled over for a family photo. See we have always taken fun pics at the Peachtree, and it’s just not fun when you’re in a picture by yourself. So I wanted this one to just be a family picture. I think we got it.

Thanks to our pal Ricky for snapping this on his phone!

This is one tired Mama.  But in other news, check out the cute wreath I made for the 4th!

Once home, I regretted all that running and all of that not training. In fact, the whole week following the Peachtree was a very lazy week for me. We didn’t go much of anywhere, and didn’t do much of anything. Mama was in recovery. I did, however, get all kinds of caught up with the Kardashians. That’s something I would normally consider a complete waste of time, but it seemed suitable for a week of recovery.

The downside to all that Keeping Up, is that now I feel like a total bum after watching them parade around Calabasas and Miami in the highest fashion. I mean really. So just as soon as it cools off around here, you can bet your bottom dollar that I’m going to find myself somewhere to go and something to do so I can get all gussied up too. Otherwise, it just doesn’t seem practical to chase a baby around in stilettos. That’s just an accident waiting to happen. Until then, it’s flip flops and ponytails for this girl. And considering it hit 105 here yesterday, I think I’ve got a while before I have to worry about going anyplace fancy anyhow.

No comments: