background

Monday, August 16, 2010

Dear Baby O

Dear Baby O-
I regret to inform you that you are being served your eviction notice now.  Just this morning I went to the Doctor for your 38 week check up.  Because of my blood pressure, I have been getting some extra special care lately.  Today was no different.  My BP was sky high, and nothing could be done to bring it down.  That earned me a one-way ticket to the hospital.  Last time we came here, we monitored you, and checked on my BP to make sure that I was going to be OK to go home and lay around for a while.  We passed that test, and have been resting ever since.  Today, however, you are developed enough that they feel you will do just fine in the outside world.  And so, here I sit, in the hospital, waiting for your arrival.  Your dad wants me to watch boring TV and just relax.  But I want to do something a little different. 
I want to savor these moments where it's just you and me.  In a little while, you will be  your own person, and the whole world will know you for who you are.  Right now it's different- other people only know you through me.  They know what you like to eat, and what position you prefer to be in.  But they know that because I tell them.  Soon enough they will see for themselves.  Right now I can be selfish with you.  When you kick me, I just "know" it's because you think the joke I just made was really funny.  Or sometimes you're giving me a little nudge to be extra nice to your dad.  Or maybe you are trying to tell me it's time to eat S'mores Pop Tarts.  But whatever it is, I just know what you're trying to tell me.  Soon enough, I'll have to share those moments with the rest of the world.  I'm not sure I'm ready for that.  I kind of like having you all to myself (I do share these things with your dad, but to be honest, he never believes the pop tarts thing.)

I'm ready to meet you.  I'm dying to see what your sweet little face looks like.  And I'm kind of curious as to how big those feet actually are (though I'm afraid I already know).  But I'm not sure I'm ready to give up that precious "us" time.  So can I put in a special request baby?  Give your old mom a break every now and then.  Give me some special snuggles if you can spare some, so I can remember what this time was like.  I'm getting old and forgetful and I don't really want to forget this.
Looks like we'll be meeting you soon, so get ready to smile big- we brought all 3 cameras, just in case. 
See you soon baby.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

Lorri said...

Honestly, this made me cry. I know exactly how you are feeling. I can remember with all of mine wishing i could just put them back in my belly to keep them safe....and all to myself. I am so excited for you! It is an amazing feeling holding that sweet baby for the first time. I can't wait to see pictures. Best of luck!

Kristen said...

Yep, I'm crying too. I remember how fast it happened with Katelyn and I knew I wasn't quite ready. But she was so darn cute and sweet that it made it all better. And cherish those late night, early morning feedings. Those will be your "just you and me" times from now on. Thinking of you today!

Mary said...

Tears! Big tears! I am so excited for you to meet your sweet little one. Welcome to this awesome ride we call Motherhood!