background

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

B is for Bedrest... and Boring

Last Wednesday I had my 36 week check-up for Baby O.  So far it has just been the usual- check weight, blood pressure, push on my stomach, ask if I have any questions, and send me on my way.  I was expecting more of the same for this appointment.  Boy was I in for a surprise!  It started out the same, but my blood pressure was a little high.  We had been running a tad late for the appointment, so I wasn't totally surprised that my little heart was racing (I HATE being late.  Hate it.)  The nurse checked again and it was still high.  We went into the room, and she had me lie down on my side.  When the doctor came into the room, she expressed concerns about my readings, and said she wanted to check my BP again since I had been lying down.  It had come down a little, but was still in what she considered the "danger zone".  The next question she asked caught me completely off guard for some reason.  "Are you still working?"   to which I replied "yes".  "Not anymore" she said with raised eyebrows.  Shocked I asked her, "wha... are you serious?"  (I don't know why I thought that this was a legitimate punch line for a Doctor's joke, but I really truly did not believe her.)  She looked at me like I was nuts and started talking about induction due to high BP.  I immediately burst into tears.  I was just not ready for that.  Again she looked at me like I was nuts- I suppose most women at 36 weeks are miserable to the point where they are close to begging for induction, so I definitely did not react like she was expecting me to. 

We had a few more conversations, and yet another BP reading, which was predictably horrible, since I was sobbing like a 2 year old in the middle of a temper tantrum.  Then she took me to the Ultrasound room.  She wanted to make sure I had plenty of amniotic fluid around the baby (I did) and wanted to check the placenta for calcification (it looked normal for 36 weeks) since that can start to be a problem with high BP.  I thought these were all good signs (and they were) but she sent me straight to the hospital.  Well, not straight to it- I did get to swing by work and pick up my stuff, and go to the house and get my hospital bags.  My mind was just racing.  SERIOUSLY?!  I was going to the hospital?!  When we left the Doctor's office she told me that one of two things would happen at the hospital.  I would spend the afternoon being monitored, and based on the results of the monitoring and some blood work, I would either be having my baby that night, or I would be sent home on bedrest.  There was about a 50/50 chance of each. 
So.  Ryan got to test out his hospital driving plan.  Once we got there, they checked me in right away, and got me back to a room.  I got to wear my first lovely hospital gown, and got to be hooked up to monitors.  I say this like it was an honor, but you know I was less than thrilled with how my afternoon was going.  And there I sat.  For hours of monitoring, with the BP cuff inflating every 15 minutes, I stayed right there.  The Doctor and nurses came in to check on me a few times, but really, my job was to just sit still and stay calm.  Eventually the Doctor came back to review the results of my hard work.  (I actually never thought lying around remaining calm would be so difficult, but it was.)  When he came in, the Doctor said that my BP was decent with rest.  I was hoping for "awesome" but "decent" would have to do this time.  My labwork came back and did not indicate any problems with toxemia or pre-e, so he was going to release me.  BUT (and you knew there would be a "but" involved, didn't you?)  I would be on bedrest, needed to take my BP at home every few hours, and would need to follow up in the office on Friday. 
Thursday I worked from home- I stayed in a semi-reclined position so that I still followed the bedrest rules, but I was not quite ready to start my leave.  I know.  I'm a fool.  But I had a few things I wanted to wrap up still.  And that is just what I did on Thursday.  When I logged of on Thursday, I knew darn well that Friday's Doctor visit could very well take me down for the count.  So I made absolutely certain I had everything done that HAD to be done by the end of the day Thursday. 
Friday we went in.  I was so nervous, I thought for sure that my nerves would ruin the BP reading in the office.  And it did.  But I talked the nurse into giving me a second reading, after a few calming breaths.  And I got another decent one.  That, along with my BP logs that I had recorded at home were enough to keep me out of the hospital.  My bedrest was extended through the end of my pregnancy, which is winding down, so I really shouldn't complain too much.  I'm sure in a month or so I would trade my right arm for a day or two on bedrest, so I'm trying really hard to savor it.  And here I've sat ever since.  I do try to make rotations- from the couch to the bed, and occasionally I do a bit of time in the recliner just for variety. 
During the work day it's ok.  I can focus on work and I can actually get a lot done without interruption.  I do find that I miss people.  I really miss talking to and interacting with other people.  In fact, a co-worker called me yesterday to ask about one of my clients and in hindsight, I feel really sorry for him.  Considering he's the only real person I've talked to other than my husband in days, I think I might have talked his little head right off.  I don't think he'll be calling me anymore. 
I find the evenings incredibly boring though.  There is nothing good on TV during the summer (Shark Week was last week, so that's really it for TV until September), and I don't have any good books to read because I was thinking I wouldn't have time to read with a baby coming!  But alas, I'm surviving.  Baby O is still here and is doing fine.  We have another appointment tomorrow.  I think that I will live in fear of each upcoming appointment- each time I am sure that will be the one where Baby O's Eviction notice is issued. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yikes!! I'm saying a prayer for you that baby stays put!!

Lorri said...

I know it is hard, but do try and enjoy this time. One more week, girl, and you will be good to go.

Mary said...

Oh Kristin! I dealt with the exact same issue with Miss Hannah Beth! Not fun!! I will be praying for you guys.

Kristin said...

Thanks girls! Today's appointment held good news- it's strictly blood pressure. No liver or kidney problems so far, and the baby did really well on his non-stress test, and his ultrasound showed plenty of fluid, and fetal breathing movements. So he's in great shape. I'm just trying to hang in there as long as possible!