background

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I know I haven't updated lately, but I will have to make this quick, as the C Monster is in the middle of an episode (dad is on duty to give mom a much needed break). 
Over the last week and a half, Cameron really ramped up his crying.  He cried every single night from 10 pm until 2 am, then he would either cry through all of his morning naps, or all of his afternoon.  That's his idea of variety, I guess.  I had an appointment with our pediatrician last week who diagnosed him with colic.  While it's nice to slap a label on it, colic comes with many downsides.  The first being, it's just a fancy way of saying "we don't know why your baby is crying."  The second, and far more terrifying, is that colic just magically disappears at 3 months.  We just hit 3 weeks.  I know for a fact I cannot do this for 3 months.  I can't. 
So I put out a call to my mom friends on Facebook to see what they have done to help calm their colicky babies.  I got a ridiculous number of responses right away.  Even today though, I am still getting emails with the same underlying message:  "I was told my baby had colic, and it turned out to be reflux."  I can't tell you how many messages I got with that same bottom line.  I lost count after about 15 or so.  So I googled infant reflux, and in particular, silent reflux.  And I watched.  All weekend long, he exhibited about 85% of the symptoms consistently throughout the weekend.  We made an appointment for Tuesday morning. 
I was prepared to lay down in the hallway and kick and scream until they agreed to try him on something.  Our Dr's office is very much in line with my philosophy on drugs- don't give them unless absolutely necessary.  So for me to say that I HAD to try it, I was pretty convinced that he had it.  But I knew I would have a harder time convincing the doctor of the same, just because so many people today toss pills at the problems they have without really analyzing why they have problems in the first place (but that's another blog in and of itself).  Amazingly, she agreed with me right off the bat, and prescribed baby zantac for my little monster.  We started it yesterday, and are about 30 hours in.  From what I've read, it takes 48 hours to really take effect, so I'm hoping that tomorrow starts a magical period of peace for us, and a painfree time for baby C. 
So that's the Cameron update.  This next comment/picture is totally unrelated, but can NOT go without commentary.  Over the weekend, our next door neighbors started a little spring cleaning.  Better late than never right?  Well let's just say it was WAY overdue.  Here are the pictures of the trash they put out for the garbage men on Tuesday morning. 

Since I am home with C, I had the luxury of watching the garbage men's reaction to this mess.  Let's just say that there was a lot of head-shaking, and obscenities flying when they pulled up and saw this.  But yes, they did actually take it all away.  And it only took about 30 minutes for them to load it all up in their truck. 

Now I can't end a post on that pathetic note, so here are some cute pictures of C to round out this miscellaneous update.



This was the 300th picture dad had taken.  I think Cameron is officially over pictures at this point.


Dad's first time feeding Cameron. 


Tummy Time!  Funny, this picture does not properly depict how very much he hated this experience.



And finally, Mom is sou proud!  Cameron can call a touchdown!  Go Dawgs!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WONDERFUL post Kristin!! You crack me up! I am so sorry.. I seriously hope that reflux is the problem so that you can solve the problem!! AND OMG on your neighbor.. I mean they could have put a little out of a few trash days.. seriously..!!

Kristen said...

I hope you get some relief from the Zantac but if that doesn't work (which is sometimes doesn't), ask for Prevacid!! It's more expensive but that stuff works! Hoping for better nights for you soon...I know how frustrating it can be.